Friday, March 03, 2006

Word up dawg....

So today I was headed off to work at the call center... I was standing at the bus stop in the heart of downtown and there was this group of boys between 12 and 14, all Latino... They were sitting there showing each other how to form the hand signal for a common gang. This cracked me up....

I know WHY!?!?!?!

a- cause they looked like an Eddie Bauer ad! All proper. Not your street "thugs".
b- cause they thought they were so cool cause they knew how to "throw" this gang sign... I learned how to "throw" the same sign when I was about there age... 10 years ago.... In the suburbia of Minnesota

So. Next thought.

Attraction-

There are people in this world I'm not supposed to be attracted to. Simply cause our worlds clash. Because people will judge me based on my association with them. Maybe I am young and naive... But I think that's bullshit. So what if someone is punk, or thug, or prep, or jock. The fact remains that they are human. And further that people aren't jars... So why label them. I understand these labels tend to match their outward form of expression, but is it so foreign to understand that there is more to a person that that???

Maybe she's a thug.
Maybe he's a punk.
and maybe there are just as tired of being seen that way as I am of being seen as a smart white girl.

0 comments: