Tuesday, March 28, 2006

For My Mommy

So I grew up in Minnesota... I was raised by a single mother who always taught me that I could do anything I want to. She was an activist and an individual and the strongest woman I have ever met.

Now that I live in Chicago... And take care of Stinky... I realize how different my life is. I am 23. When my mom was 24 she was pregnant with me. And she was getting ready to speak at the united nations. She had organized unions and fought against the south African apartheid. I know that I am not my mom. But I look at my own life and I am in awe of her. While I too have stood up for what I believe in, I have never done it with the unending passion that my mom did.

Now my mom is an advocate for people that cant always stand up for themselves... and she still does it with unending passion and incredible strength. I wish sometimes though i could get her to be more proactive in her own life to claim what she deserves.

she deserves someone better than my stepdad.
she deserves somewhere she can be proud to call home.
she deserves to be able to sleep at night without worrying about money.

0 comments: